PCC to celebrate Semana de la Raza
Beaverton, OR — Portland Community College’s annual celebration of Hispanic culture April 23-27, with a week-long schedule of workshops, speakers, and entertainment.
With the theme, “Unidos tenemos el poder,” or “United we have the power,” Semana de la Raza will be held at the Rock Creek Campus (17705 N.W. Springville Road). Unless noted, all events are free and open to the public and will be held at the Event Center, Building 9.
Among the highlights:
- Citizens United: Collaborating for a better tomorrow with Luis Gutiérrez, founder and executive director for Latinos Progresando, a Chicago based advocacy group that provides low-cost legal immigration services and community education to immigrants. April 23, 1 p.m.-2 p.m.
- United We Stand: Organizing for action with Randy Parraz, president of “Citizens for a Better Arizona” and an attorney and former candidate for the United States Senate in Arizona. His workshop will examine the question of immigration from a critical lens and dissect the effect the battle in Arizona is having on a national level. April 23, 2 p.m.-3 p.m.
- Migrant Collection Drive: Event organizers, students and the public will participate in a collection drive for local migrant and seasonal workers. The volunteers will accept donations at the Rock Creek Campus throughout the week, beginning April 24.
- Poetry Night with Octaviano Merecias-Cuevas. April 25, 6 p.m.-8 p.m.
- César Chávez Recognition Dinner & Fiesta, April 27, 7 p.m.-9:30 p.m.
Full schedule: www.pcc.edu/semana.
Este artículo también está disponible en / This post is also available in: Spanish
Short URL: http://www.elhispanicnews.com/?p=3772