Related Articles

Back to Latest Articles

Up to Date on Immigration

Ryn McCoy
Up to Date on Immigration

Thomas W. Roach and Eamonn P.S. Roach.

By Thomas W. Roach and Eamonn P.S. Roach, Attorneys


Read this story in Spanish.

Under the new Trump Executive Orders, has Immigration Custom Enforcement (ICE) been doing anything differently?

Yes. ICE is now much more active than before Donald Trump was elected President. ICE agents are now routinely at court houses, places of business and other public places.

Is there anything that I can do to protect myself, my family and my property in case I should fall in the hands of ICE?

Yes. There are several things you can and should do. First, you should have a Power of Attorney that designates who you want to have custody of your minor children in order to make decisions regarding their potential travel, health and general well-being. Second, you should have a Power of Attorney that allows someone you trust to make decisions regarding your business, car, bank accounts or property, should they need to be sold or transferred.

If I have been detained by ICE but I have also been in the US at least 10 years, isn’t there a part of the law that says I can stay in the US?

Cancellation of Removal is a part of the Immigration Law that says a person that is in the Deportation process can ask for a Green Card from the Immigration Judge if they meet 3 requirements.

What are the three requirements?

In order to qualify for Cancellation of Removal, a person must:

  • have been in the US for at least 10 years,
  • prove Good Moral Character, and
  • prove Extreme Hardship to a Legal Permanent Resident or US Citizen Spouse, Parent, or Child should they have to return to Mexico.

If a person can show those three requirements they can qualify for Green Card status.

What rights do I have if I am stopped by Immigration?

We have prepared a lengthy “Know Your Rights” summary in both English and Spanish which we would recommend you read. It can be found on our office website at

Is there anything I can do if I am—or my family member is—picked up by Immigration?

If you have had any contact with Immigration or any contact with the police in the past, you should contact an Immigration Attorney. If you have minor family members or property here in the US, you should also have a legal document created to protect your minor children and property.

What should I do now?

If you have had contact with the Police at any time or any place since you have been in the US you should contact an Immigration Attorney now. If you have had any contact with Immigration at any time or any place you should contact an Immigration Attorney now.

Thomas W. Roach and Eamonn P.S. Roach are attorneys of the firm Roach & Bishop, LLP in Pasco, Washington, who practice immigration law.

This information does not constitute legal advice. It is possible that this information does not apply to you. Each case depends on specific facts. If you have questions regarding the immigration laws that you would like answered in this column, please send them to: Thomas W. Roach and Eamonn P.S. Roach, 9221 Sandifur Pkwy, Suite C., Pasco, WA 99301, phone: (509) 547-7587, fax: (509) 547-7745; or email or

*Note from the editor: To find free or low-cost immigration legal services, you can use the National Immigration Legal Services Directory.



Related Articles


Trabajadora agrícola de California: Cosechar guisantes debe llevar a una vida mejor

Primera Persona por Rosalía Martínez, New America Media Nota del Editor: En esta última entrega de una serie de tres sobre los campesinos en California por el contribuyente a NAM...

Posted on by EHN Staff

Crime and Livability Problems at Rental Properties

We often hear from tenants who are experiencing crime and crime-related livability problems in their rental properties. It is important for tenants to learn what resources they...

Posted on by Ryn McCoy